Archive

Archive for February, 2012

Firewall Leak

February 8th, 2012 No comments

In prepping everything for carpet and interior paint, I discovered that I had a pretty nasty firewall leak.  The evaporator housing for the (non-existent) A/C is a two part box that is sealed against the firewall.  The seal connecting those two box sides had leaks in it, as did the seal between the box and the firewall.  Also, there were no grommets around the heater core hoses, which probably wasn’t helping.  Anyway, this is a HUGE pain because I now have to completely remove the evaporator housing which requires taking the inner fender off.  I have to remove a thick layer of some kind of gunk a PO used to from the box AND from the firewall.  I’m taking this opportunity to remove the evaporator and dry from the box, plug up all the holes, and paint it to try to clean things in the engine compartment up a bit.  I’m also going to install the new inner fender while I’m at it.  Oh, and also repair the battery tray which has some corrosion left over from the “boiling battery” incident.  I’ll be covering the battery tray in an epoxy to help prevent further corrosion in the future.

 

UPDATE:

I executed the stated plans.  Honestly, the worst part was getting that goo off.  I took two cans of brake cleaner.  Looks much better now!  Also: no leaks!  3m Strip Caulk FTW.

Categories: Project Log Tags:

Interior Updates

February 3rd, 2012 No comments

Been busy!  I’ve been pushing hard to get a lot of the little stuff done so that this thing can go to paint as soon as I get to the new place (we’re getting a new house).   There I will have more garage space to disassemble it for prep.  Anyways, short list of what has been accomplished recently:

  • Had new vinyl gauge faces printed and applied them
  • Completed new LED gauge lighting
  • Added LED courtesy lighting
  • Installed LMC clear dome crystal and LED bulb
  • Shot the corner speaker boxes I got from http://www.73-87.com/ with bed liner
  • Added acoustic mat on the rear wall of the cab
  • Painted break booster and lines
  • Installed a new master cylinder
  • Installed a new chrome alternator bracket
  • Installed the new steering wheel
  • Stripped the old paint off the door panels and sprayed on bed liner (to go with the new armrests I got!)
  • Installed new inner window seal on the door panels
  • Started adding the lighting in the wiper panel and temp controls
In the process of all this though, I discovered a leak around the AC/Heater box on the firewall.  So next order of business is getting that cleaned up and resealed.
embedded by Embedded Video

Categories: Project Log Tags: