Home > Project Log > More Adventures in Rust

More Adventures in Rust

August 25th, 2009 Leave a comment Go to comments

Well, I got good news and bad news.

First the bad news: A lot more of this truck is rust than I first thought.

The good news: I don’t care.

I’ve noticed something about what makes a fix on the truck successful, versus what makes one seem hopeless.  The “really knowing what it is exactly” factor is what I’m calling it.  It seems that whenever I start a little project on the truck (like he door pins, for example) it always turns out to be waaaaay more time consuming than I thought at first blush.  That is because I haven’t been REALLY looking at a problem before I dive in.  When I DO take the time to really strip everything out of the way and really get a good look at what I’ll be working on, that seems to be when things go really well.  So from now on, that is my goal: to not get surprised by the work load.

So back to the rust.  There is a lot of it.  I first took out the seats, seat belt bolts, and the various trim pieces holding down the carpet… by the way, if you ever decide to do this, I cannot stress enough how much you need a 9/16ths box end and a huge star bit for getting the seat bolts and seat belt bolts off.  Critical.  I had neither.

After the seats and other stuff was out, I stripped up the carpet and nasty moldy soggy under pads and what I assume is rotten Hushmat.  I threw it all out.  When all this is said and done, I will have a Rhinoliner type coating instead of carpet.  After I got out the carpet, I got a good long look at the situation.

The short of it is this: there is damage that will have to be fixed via cutting and welding in the following panels:  Both inner rockers, both outer rockers, both floor pans, the driver side cab support, both a-pillar bottoms, the driver side footwell.  I will possibly have to repair the passenger side footwell.  It wouldn’t surprise me.   Now the good news its this: I will not have to replace these panels in their entirety.  I can salvage a vast majority of both the inner and outer rockers on both sides – I’d say 60% or so –  and I think the passenger side cab support can be salvaged.  Of course, I’ve never actually done this, but I’ve done it many times in my head.  I have no doubt that I can cut, shape, and fit what I need to.  Welding is the only bit I’m worried about really.  But I guess this will be good practice.

I’m really really glad I will be able to keep most of the rockers as that will help line everything up a LOT.  the bottom of the a-pillars is going to be a bitch.  I’ll just have to wing it I suppose. Also fun: I will have to drop the fuel tank to do this.  But it is full of rust and needs replacing anyway.  I’ll do that at the same time.

All in all I think I’m looking at $750 or so in materials (that includes paint, discs, wire, primer, paint, liner – pretty much everything but the electricity).  My estimate is that it will take 5 full days.

As soon as I have the funds, I will begin.

rust2
rust3
rust4
rust5
rust6
rust7
rust8
rust9
rust10
rust11

EDIT 2014 Update:
I ended up having a guy do this welding work. I’ll post more on my update on that post.

Categories: Project Log Tags:
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.
You must be logged in to post a comment.